Blue Dreams, Immersive Video Projection on an 11′ x 35′ custom curved screen, National Academy of Sciences, Washington D.C.
“The ocean is more ancient than the mountains, and freighted with the memories and the dreams of Time.” – H. P. Lovecraft
Through an initial grant from the National Academy of Sciences / Keck Futures Initiative, Rutstein was invited in 2017 to join the Ocean Memory Project.
The Ocean Memory Project is a transdisciplinary group of researchers across the arts, sciences and humanities exploring the intersection of ocean and memory. For six years the group has investigated how the ocean and its inhabitants are an interconnected system with agency and memory, where environmental changes are recorded within living things and through the dynamic processes within the ocean structure itself.
Since 2018, after being awarded a $500,000 Challenge Grant from the National Academy of Sciences / Keck Futures Initiative, The Ocean Memory Project has continued to explore the largely unknown world of the deep sea and memory. Transdisciplinary workshops have spurred innovative science and art projects helping us understand and communicate how changes in our global environment are recorded by the deep ocean and its inhabitants.
Rutstein has participated in the following workshops, projects and grants:
1. September 2017: Friday Harbor Laboratories (University of Washington), San Juan Island, Washington
2. March 2018: Djerassi Residency for Artists in Woodland, California
3. February 2019: Boone Center for Environmental Studies, University of Southern California, Catalina Island, CA*
4. October 2019: Ocean Memory Expedition at Sea on UW’s RV/Rachel Carson in the Salish Sea in British Columbia
5. June 2020: Seed Seminar on Cognition & Genomics (virtual seminar originally planned at Virden Center at University of Delaware)*
6. Aug 2020-Sept 2021: Seed Grant for “Blue Dreams” video art piece
7. Aug 2020: Co-authored article in Scientific American
8. March 2021: Guest speaker on Ocean Memory Web Seminar Series
9. April 2021: Sounding Workshop and concert, hosted by Stanford University (virtual)
10. Nov 2021 – June 2022: “Journeys through Water” Exhibition and Guest Speaker at University of Washington
11. Feb 2022: Seed Seminar on Senses and Sensing (virtual)
12. June 2022: Seed Grant Recipient – “Senses Submerged” Workshop in Puerto Morelos, Mexico*
13. April 2023: Seed Seminar on Memory Loss, UGA Marine Institute, Sapelo Island, Georgia*
14. June 2023: Seed Grant Recipient, The Immersion Project
15. June 2023: Seed Grant Recipient, Losing the Architectural Memory of Sea Ice
14. Oct 2023: The Remembering Workshop, Friday Harbor Laboratories, (University of Washington), San Juan Island, Washington*
15. Nov 2023: Ocean Memory Cresting Conference (virtual)
*Rutstein was an organizer and facilitator of the workshop.
For more information: oceanmemoryproject.com